We have been in Montreal for three full years now and we have so much to celebrate. Often people ask us what brought us to this city and our answer is the same today as it was on day one. We are here because we believe fully that the only hope in this world is found in a relationship with Jesus Christ, who came to earth, lived a perfect life, and died a real death taking all of our sin on himself out of his deep love for us. Not only did he die, but he defeated death and was raised from the dead so that death does not have the victory. We each can experience full, abundant life through Jesus. THIS is why we have come to Montreal. We want to share this with our friends, our family, and our neighbors, because this hope has changed our lives. This hope is what we base our lives upon, the hope of future glory in the presence of God because of his mercy, not our achievements or good deeds. Any good people see in us is the goodness of God to transform our hearts.
So here we are, three years later. Things have changed…
- We went from a family of five to a family of six!
- Our kids successfully finished three full school years and just started the fourth…
- We have two (soon to be three) fully fluent French speakers in our home.
- James and Abi have worked on language learning and made strides towards fluency.
- We moved neighborhoods to Pointe Saint Charles from Villeray in 2018.
- Three different elementary schools for our kids…
- A stay in the hospital for Brock when he fell from his loft bed, but God showed up!
- Renaissance Church has grown in size and depth by the grace of God.
- Added a new staff family at Renaissance and hope to have others joining us in 2020
- Completed trainings provided by NAMB to equip us for the work of church planting
- Celebrated birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, and other milestones far from family and learned how to stay connected despite distance.
These are just a handful of changes that we have encountered over the last three years!
As we look back and also look ahead to the future there may still be many unknowns for our family and our ministry, but throughout the years there is one reoccurring truth that we have learned through the highest highs and the lowest lows and that is this:
GOD IS GOOD. (Simple, right?) Something we have always known, but now truly believe.
His goodness has been present in every moment of every day, when we could see it and when we couldn’t see it. He never changes, He is faithful, and He is GOOD. We look ahead with great expectancy to see God change lives. We are looking to see where He is at work and finding ways to be a part of our community in a way that gives us a platform to share the hope we have in Jesus. We hope that our neighbors have noticed that our family (although nowhere near perfect) is a picture of God’s love and grace, and THAT is what is different about us.
The question and answer is the same today as it was at the beginning: Why Montreal? Answer: Because of the great call on our lives and the great need in this city (and around the world) for people to find that the only sure thing in this world is trusting in Jesus Christ as their hope, their peace, their everything.
Until All Have Heard — We press on!